First Steps Parnell is a unique, urban, multicultural, quality childcare centre located off The Strand on the fringe of the CBD, Britomart and Parnell. Our location provides convenient access to Auckland’s business district and surrounding apartments.
Our centre offers an oasis in the city where children are cared for from 3 months to 5 years. We have two separate rooms in our centre, an Under 2’s room and an Over 2’s room. Each room delivers a programme based on the children’s developmental growth, emerging dispositions and interests. And every child has a portfolio prepared for them to document their learning and development.
3 delicious, fresh meals a day are prepared by our lovely cook and last year we are pleased to receive a Gold Healthy Heart Award from The Heart Foundation of New Zealand.
Our centre has a nurturing, friendly team of teachers and we aim to provide children in our care with the best educational opportunities. Qualified teachers continue to research and review current practice while continually communicating with parents working together as a team.
Our environment provides a stimulating space for each child to reach their full potential. Outside children have an opportunity to grow their own vegetables, observe butterflies hatching, developing their foundations for learning through active movement and exploration.
Ask about our Be School Ready programme.
Our Education Review Office (ERO) review in 2011 was a very successful review. Here are a few comments that were noted in the report would like to share with you:
• ‘Children are confident in the centre and settle quickly on arrival. They move freely between the indoor and outdoor environment and often sustain their interest in an activity for long periods. They benefit from many opportunities to develop early literacy skills and enjoy an environment arranged to invite their exploration. Children under two are confident to explore independently, help each other at play and practise their developing mobility. Teachers respect children as capable learners and expect them to learn self-help skills and to assist younger ones during play and routines. Children show a sense of belonging and well-being in the centre.’
• ‘Experienced teachers effectively model ways of working alongside children and supporting their interests. They initiate meaningful conversations with children, often asking open questions to prompt thinking and exploration of ideas. Staff working with children under two years of age, are particularly responsive to infant cues and celebrate their beginning language"
View our centre's latest ERO report here...
First Steps Parnell are recipients of an internal excellence award in 2012. The Trustmark award is in Leadership and Management in the centre.
What else you can expect from our centre:
• A planned integrated programme that reflects children’s current interests, strengths and dispositions in daily activities and experiences
• Qualified or in-training teachers who are open, friendly and welcoming who extend children’s learning to develop each child’s individual potential through the planning and assessment system
• A trained children’s nurse working with the under two’s
• A centre that works on building high self-esteem, social skills and self-help skills, that encourages a love of learning through supporting creativity and imagination
• Quality teacher to child ratios with an emphasis on high teacher to child responsive interactions
• Nutritious healthy meals prepared on site daily catering to all dietary requirements
Vew our centre's latest Facebook photos!
First Steps Parnell's latest!
First Steps Parnell's Pyjama Tea Party
"Dear Steph, It came into my mind often and i meant to tell you guys but not happened. Now Sornia has left and i felt in my heart i need to tell this. Sai Sai was still a baby when we enter first steps parnell doors. We struggled a bit but we settled in a very short period of time. We felt so warm, secure and well supported through the early days. You guys share your understandings towards our families and most of all, you guys live in our situations and live in our feelings. You happy together with us and cry together with us. This did not disappear...its still there and we can clearly see it , sense it. we really appreciate it from the bottom of our heart. Our children may not know how to express it but when Ruth received her little award from school she remember you instantly. She said ... do you think Steph will proud of me? i want to show it to her. You guys are a truly part of our family. THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO YOU ALL. Regards, Khon and Nang" - June 2013
"We're thrilled when we placed our son in your care. We really like the setting. The environment is friendly, loving, professional and educational. The teachers and staff are so caring, loving, genuine, down to earth, and trust worthy. Children play outside in the nice big backyard with lots of things to play on. There's just a wide variety of play and learn going on. First Steps daycare is wonderful. My son loves it here and I cannot think of any other daycare we would want him to be a part of. I have and will continue in the future to highly recommend First Steps to anyone needing childcare for their children.Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :)" - April 2012
Click here to read more Parent Feedback!