*Enrol now for 2014 and save! Ask us for more details.
First Steps Parnell is a unique, urban, quality childcare centre on the fringe of the CBD, providing convenient easy access to parents and whanau and delivering a stimulating and challenging programme. The centre has been operating for over seven years in the heart of Parnell, just off The Strand close to the Port exit on the motorway.
Choosing an early childhood centre can be a daunting and overwhelming decision. At First Steps Parnell we work closely with parents and listen to the aspirations you have for your child and the expectations of care and education you have while at the centre. Together in partnership, we aim to work collectively to achieve these goals and many more that are presented along the pathway of learning.
Our under two’s room has a homely feel with portrait photos of all the children on the sign in desk, like a hallway in a home, a couch and cushions inside for children to rest and lounge on, plants and occasionally fresh flowers in the room. The room is cosy and warm catering for small groups of children and providing a varied and diverse range of age- appropriate activities and resources.
Our over two’s room is busy and full of educational and curriculum choices for children. There is a large indoor space that allows lots of room for all the curriculum areas and freedom for children to move about and work individually, in small groups and get involved in large group activities. The over two’s room is well-resourced, has activities and experiences linked into the planning programme and as a room works on developing children’s dispositions and unique characteristics. The room also runs a highly developed transition to school programme for children four year of age in preparation for school. Click here to find out more about our Transition to School Programme
In the kitchen we have a cook that cooks our meals from scratch each day in the centre. With the focus on traditional cooking and having a balanced healthy nutritious range of food options on a daily basis, our children are well-fed. In 2012 the centre is working towards a Healthy Heart Award with the Heart Foundation. View our sample menu here!
We value relationships with our colleagues, with children, parents and whanau and the wider community. We are a multi cultural childcare centre focused on implementing bi-culturalism and multiculturalism with a vision of sharing and learning from everyone in the centre community.
We provide numerous educational opportunities to help guide each child to reach their full potential. Our programme is based on the New Zealand Early Childhood Curriculum, Te Whāriki. Accordingly, children are viewed as confident and capable learners in their own right and we work on fostering and supporting all of their potentials.
At First Steps Parnell we help support and guide each child towards becoming a happy, confident learner. We value all curriculum areas and encourage children to develop literacy, mathematical, scientific and problem solving skills, as well as relationships/social skills which build help confidence, and self esteem for life.
Ask about our Be School Ready programme.
Our Education Review Office (ERO) review in 2011 was a very successful review. Here are a few comments that were noted in the report would like to share with you:
• ‘Children are confident in the centre and settle quickly on arrival. They move freely between the indoor and outdoor environment and often sustain their interest in an activity for long periods. They benefit from many opportunities to develop early literacy skills and enjoy an environment arranged to invite their exploration. Children under two are confident to explore independently, help each other at play and practise their developing mobility. Teachers respect children as capable learners and expect them to learn self-help skills and to assist younger ones during play and routines. Children show a sense of belonging and well-being in the centre.’
• ‘Experienced teachers effectively model ways of working alongside children and supporting their interests. They initiate meaningful conversations with children, often asking open questions to prompt thinking and exploration of ideas. Staff working with children under two years of age, are particularly responsive to infant cues and celebrate their beginning language"
View our centre's latest ERO report here...
First Steps Parnell are recipients of an internal excellence award in 2012. The Trustmark award is in Leadership and Management in the centre.
What else you can expect from our centre:
• A planned integrated programme that reflects children’s current interests, strengths and dispositions in daily activities and experiences
• Qualified or in-training teachers who are open, friendly and welcoming who extend children’s learning to develop each child’s individual potential through the planning and assessment system
• A trained children’s nurse working with the under two’s
• A centre that works on building high self-esteem, social skills and self-help skills, that encourages a love of learning through supporting creativity and imagination
• Quality teacher to child ratios with an emphasis on high teacher to child responsive interactions
• Nutritious healthy meals prepared on site daily catering to all dietary requirements
Vew our centre's latest Facebook photos!
First Steps Parnell's Pyjama Tea Party
"Dear Steph, It came into my mind often and i meant to tell you guys but not happened. Now Sornia has left and i felt in my heart i need to tell this. Sai Sai was still a baby when we enter first steps parnell doors. We struggled a bit but we settled in a very short period of time. We felt so warm, secure and well supported through the early days. You guys share your understandings towards our families and most of all, you guys live in our situations and live in our feelings. You happy together with us and cry together with us. This did not disappear...its still there and we can clearly see it , sense it. we really appreciate it from the bottom of our heart. Our children may not know how to express it but when Ruth received her little award from school she remember you instantly. She said ... do you think Steph will proud of me? i want to show it to her. You guys are a truly part of our family. THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO YOU ALL. Regards, Khon and Nang" - June 2013
"We're thrilled when we placed our son in your care. We really like the setting. The environment is friendly, loving, professional and educational. The teachers and staff are so caring, loving, genuine, down to earth, and trust worthy. Children play outside in the nice big backyard with lots of things to play on. There's just a wide variety of play and learn going on. First Steps daycare is wonderful. My son loves it here and I cannot think of any other daycare we would want him to be a part of. I have and will continue in the future to highly recommend First Steps to anyone needing childcare for their children.Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :)" - April 2012
"Just some feedback regarding the Parent Newsletter - I really like the new format that has been adopted over the last few months, it has a much more relaxed feel to it, whilst still being informative and getting points to note across. It’s fun, interesting, informative and enjoyable to read. I particularly like the pictures and detail in the 'what's been going on' section, as I'm always interested to learn what Molly and Ella have been up to. I’m also impressed with the new Healthy Heart menu, and think it’s great that there is so much variety in the lunch menu." - February 2012
Click here to read more Parent Feedback!